Sunday 2 June 2019


I’ve discovered that the IRRV Presidency, as with everything else in life, has certain “seasons” associated with it. As we entered the Spring, I attended the first of the AGM’s at the Thames Valley Association. All Associations are special in their own way but Thames Valley deserves a particular mention as, not only is it the Association which is closest to where I work but it is also one which was dormant from 2001 to 2008 when it sprang to life again thanks to a small number of dedicated and hardworking IRRV members, some of whom remain on the Executive Committee today.

The AGM was followed by a professional meeting focusing on Business Rates and the following day saw the Thames Valley Association dinner held in very grand surroundings near Hook. It’s often the case that the Association presents the President’s “party” with a bouquet of flowers. For many years, this has been presented to the partner of the President since the latter have been, in the main, men. On this occasion, as others, however, the Association has presented the President with the bouquet, much to Kerry’s relief who may look a little awkward with such a floral tribute! Sadly though, I put said bouquet in a safe place while mingling with the guests and promptly forgot them. Luckily it was close to home so I was able to call in the following morning to collet them. It’s fair to say that the few people I saw didn’t look quite as cheery as they had done the night before…..

So, as I started to explain, the AGM season seems to be well and truly upon us and my next meeting was for the West Midlands up in Birmingham. This was a well-attended meeting, despite the fact that I was advertised as the main speaker. All was going very well until I came to catch my train home and, rushing towards New Street station, promptly lost my footing and ended up with my face a little closer to the pavement than I intended. Quickly trying to right myself, my faith in humanity was well and truly restored as several people stopped to help me up.  It’s been many years since I suffered a fall, with a scuffed knee and badly sprained ankle, unaided by alcohol anyway. Unfortunately, I’m still suffering slightly as I write some 2 weeks later.

Following the Easter week-end, it was my pleasure to attend both the North and Mid Wales AGM and the Lancashire and Cheshire AGM in the same week.  I’d like to thank both Associations for their generous hospitality and have no doubt that both new local presidents, Islwyn Lewis Jones and Catherine Nicholson, will ensure that their local members of the Institute have a full programme of events to support them. 

The month of April ended with the third round of National Council meetings at which the outcome of the working parties’ recommendations on the consultation and future strategy for the Institute was the topic which dominated the day. I’d urge all members to attend the AGM in Telford to vote on those which need to be put before that meeting and learn more about the outcome of the consultation process.

The AGM season also continued a pace as I journeyed to the Northern Counties and the picturesque setting of Chester le Street and the County Cricket Ground. The meeting was preceded by a professional meeting on Revenues Collection which brought together an audience from both local government and Registered Social Landlords thank to the organisational ability of Council Member Ian Ferguson. The day was topped off by an evening meal with the speakers and members of the Exec in the haunted Lumley Castle. For those who have not visited, it is certainly somewhere I’d recommend if only for the history. Dating back to 1389 Lumley Castle holds stories of betrayal, war and was a favourite among visiting monarchs.

It was then my pleasure to attend the Spring Conference in Leeds which, although I may be slightly biased, I thought was very successful for both delegates and exhibitors alike. It’s always slightly risky asking high profile speakers to address a conference and we did get off to a slightly shaky start as the first speaker on the Benefit stream was unfortunately unable to get to us due to travel disruptions. However, Richard Harbord did a stirling job addressing the mixed audience of both Revenues and Benefits practitioners on the topic of local government finance.  As always the event was an opportunity to catch up with suppliers and colleagues from other authorities and discuss the issues we’re all facing albeit perhaps over a beverage or two in the hotel bar.

From Leeds I then had a quick turnaround at home before accompanying the Chief Executive to The European Group of Valuers' Associations (TEGoVA) event in Dubrovnik. TEGoVA represents a group of 71 Valuer’s Associations from 37 Countries and is s truly international event with representation from across Europe and across the pond with delegates from the USA and Canada and indeed China. Now those of you who know me will realise that not only are my language skills limited (I can’t even speak Welsh!) but am I in no way an expert in valuation matters. Luckily, the Chief Executive had warned me about the language issue and headsets were available to ensure that we understood the presentations with the help of simultaneous translation. Following a fairly standard conference format, with presentations on the first day, the second was more of a United Nations style event with each Association sitting at a large table behind the flag of their nation and voting on various proposals, including whether to admit a new Portuguese Association. The role of IRRV President is certainly not a dull one but is most certainly one which broadens your horizon. Although I’m still no expert on Valuation I do now know a little more about football following an interlude at a local hostelry to watch the Watford match with the aforementioned Chief Exec. Sadly the result didn’t go his or Watford’s way.



No comments:

Post a Comment